Thursday, March 25, 2010

Simple Lemon Almond Poppyseed Cake



I found a recipe for a Lemon Almond Poppyseed Cake on A Bountiful Kitchen blog yesterday and I made the cake.  It was delicious!!!!  A very springy, refreshing cake!  The recipe was super easy.  I tried the homemade icing recipe that was included, and it was a bit too lemony for me.  Next time I will not use as much lemon juice.  BUT, I am very happy with the cake.  It uses a box recipe, but with all the other ingredients that she uses, it didn't seem like a box cake at all.  I also served it with strawberries and blackberries in sugar/water.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it.  I would very much recommend the recipe!


Lemon Almond Poppy seed Cake with Fresh lemon Icing

Cake ingredients:
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons almond extract
1 cup water
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 package lemon cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
1 small (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding


Icing ingredients:
2 cups powdered sugar
Juice from 1-2 lemons (about 1/4 cup juice)
zest from lemons
dash salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan.

Cake:
Mix all wet cake ingredients together with mixer until blended . Add dry ingredients, including poppy seeds, mix until all ingredients are blended well, about 3 minutes.

Pour into prepared pan. Bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, before inverting onto serving platter.
Prepare icing, and frost cake when completely cooled. Serve with fresh strawberries.

Icing:
Melt butter, add to powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, and salt in bowl. Whisk or beat until smooth. Thin with a little milk, water or lemon juice if too thick.

Tips:
-I used half of a lemon depending on the amount of juice extracted and the size of the lemon. . If you want to thin the icing a bit, you may use a little milk.

No comments: